3.25.2009

Change?

Has the realm of spoken word transitioned to a spotlight representative of poetry? I for one am not a spoken word poet. I do not possess that much charisma on stage. I have written a few spoken word-type pieces but have not given the thought of going public with them. Yet, as I watch Def Poetry Jam seasons I see countless young performers speaking their pieces as spoken word artist. Which I believe takes a lot of character to perform, versus reading or reciting words conveying meaning through vocabulary. Although, if you can move a crowd without having to move much of yourself (physically) I believe you're talented.

I only mention this topic because as I see the older poets, the poets that have been around for decades, seasoned with skills and vocabulary. They read from a podium, a book, or a collection of notes. The younger generations seem to have subliminally denounced that method of performance. I plan to stick to what I know, the style, the delivery, the writing. I am poet, spoken word can be over there, I will remain WRITE here.

I sometimes wonder if poetry is it like Hip Hop? Where styles and methods combined with time create a new generation of artist/performer. Similar to how southern rap has become the money maker in the industry.

Just a thought.



No comments: