3.26.2009

Money Money Money

See I was listenin to Jim Jones album and I couldn’t help but notice, its all about the money. I read an interview where he sent a message to his former best friend and so-called brother from another mother Cam’ron, saying that money could renew their friendship. Really? Wow. You’ve known this guy since you were kids, grew up in the same building, got rich with him when you really had no career, and you say that money will bring back the good ol’ days? Hmm. I was listenin to a song by Drake, called “Successful.” The hook goes, “I want the money, money and the cars, cars and the clothes, the hoes, I suppose, I just wanna be successful.” Really? Wow. That’s your definition of success? I hate to get all righteous on you and whatnot, but try Martin Luther King Jr. or Barak Obama for examples of success. I was reading a story in the paper about some prick named Madoff who scammed people for billions of dollars. For what? Is it really worth thousands of people suffering because they trusted you with their life savings, so you can have a ridiculous amount of money, so much money you don’t even know what to do with it, at your disposal? AIG? Shit, I’m not even gonna get into that. See, life is bigger than that, at least to me it is. Life is…life. Appreciate it. Wake up in the morning and be thankful for it. I’m not preaching, but I didn’t always think this way. I used to take things for granted. I used to complain about dumb shit. “Aww man I got all these papers to write and classes all day tomorrow.” That’s definitely nothing to complain about. How about doing life in prison or walking from car to car on the 2 train asking for some money for lunch? There will never be another day where I don’t appreciate the life that I have, no matter how bad it gets. Sure, everyone wants to live comfortably, but money is a small thing. How about having an impact on someone’s life or making a difference in your community? Making a career out of money is useless. I think its lame as hell when people say that they are all about the money. That’s just as bad as hearing a high school basketball player say “if it wasn’t for basketball, I don’t know what I would do.” Really? Wow. So you’re pretty much saying, if you had a career ending injury tomorrow (totally not impossible), you would be a bum? Not good. Likewise, if you are all about the money, and the money just doesn’t swing your way for whatever reason, what do you have left? Or let’s say you do get the money. What next? Will it bring you happiness? I doubt it…

Anyway, enough preaching for me. I’m definitely not knocking anyone’s hustle. I just wish people would stop equating money with success. Get it? Money does not equal success. I’m new to this. I guess this can count as my very first blog. I hope you liked it.

3 comments:

Th3rd said...

Hell yeah it was great!!

Anonymous said...

Good job Just!

Anonymous said...

I was feeling low today, because my priorities seem to be so different from those around me. After typing "I just wish people would stop equating money with success" into the search engine, I was led to your blog... so, for your words, Thank you.