2.26.2009

Franklin Ave (read this at my open mic)

Franklin Ave
9/2/08

I passed by her on the 3 train
At first glance she appeared the same
Beautiful
Hair lays in place just partially caressing her face
Impossible to chase yet irresistible to not follow
I look up; take a swallow
Rise from my seat and begin speak
“hey, remember me?”
her facial expression told me unlikely
the moment seemed surreal
my emotions felt puerile yet I refused to yield.
She smiled and questioned about where I was destined
The conversation lessened because the doors moved in attracting directions
Trying to sever a spark where two hearts had soul aligned
Briefly defined as fate
The train rushed down the line as I kept speaking my mind
I yearn to interrelate
My ability to appreciate small meetings and simple interactions
She smiles and laughs when
I tell her an old joke
She told me back then
She thought I was consumed with hope
An idealist, encompassed with optimism
She read me saying no cynicism marked me
So you do remember?
“Yeah,” she commented “You kept it together
The brother that trudged through the stormy weather”
Intriguing further thought, I inquired about seeing her next week
Offering to get ice cream and take walk down the street
It’d be unique, the delight we’d partake
Unable to demonstrate, she has a hard time hearing
The train was so far down the tracks she couldn’t even see the 3 clearly
Sounds resonated through the tunnels, occluding my vocal chords peaks
The only echoes she hears are from 2, W and Z

No comments: