9.17.2008

Fear the turtle

So, not too long ago I was at work (as usual) and decided to go out for lunch. Unfortunately, the selection process is not too broad, so McDonald's it was. This wonderful summer day could not have been any more beautiful. As my Scottish co-worker and I hop in his Yaris and head to our delectable dining venture, something was different this day. We traveled down the main road where heavy traffic (for this town) was usual. While we are rapidly pacing down the road I notice something on the sidewalk. I beg Tommy to turn around; so he bombs down the street, threads his way through traffic and returns back up the road. Now there is a bridge with a nice size river and dam that this two lane road occupies, not much passing room. Regardless of the other patrons, I decide to hop of the car, dodge over to the opposite side of the street and before me is:

a massive turtle! I couldn't say "helpless" nor "poor."

But his decision to attempt to cross the road was not going to be the brightest idea, especially at this time of day. He, she...it patiently waited by the curb as twenty-two wheeled semi's drove by, bicyclist, and plenty of other four wheeled vehicles.

To no avail, I grasped the sides of it's shell, lifted and attempted to haul this big animal to the other side. Before I was three feet in the street this turtle's 3/4 inch class dug into my hand, and had enough strength to pry my hands right off

*Drop*...so now his ass is laying in the middle of the first lane. ANd instead of meekly placing its head in the shell, (like he did at first). Now emerges this four inch head, that is about the side of a small apple. Snapping at me viciously with malice and contempt. I couldn't even get behind the damn thing, it squared in front of my body with every move, snapping and hissing. Well, I can't just leave his ungrateful ass in the road... or could I. I grab a branch, about four feet long, and he snapped through the two and a half in diameter branch as if it were a toothpick. ((I was told I was lucky, because usually they get their way, and my hand would have been three fingers less that day, would have made writing interesting))... anyways I got it, back on his original side of the road, and used momentum from his final chop through the branch to hurl it down the bank and into the brush... whew... so much for helping.

Now, I know this was a bit long, but feel me out. Some people innately want to be there for others... even if they have no business to. Offering shoulders, hands and often money to help in the oddest of situations. The turtle in the road signifies a huge percentage of people who don't appreciate the helping hand, who can't see that an angel is there to benefit their situation. Rather they shut doors, refute and condemn any outsider; our animalistic behavior to assistance, to bite the hand that feeds us. The greatest thing about this, if I saw another turtle on the sidewalk, I'd help it too, appreciative or not, a life was changed, helped and possibly saved. Don't be afraid of another's care and concern, and don't be afraid to talk to a stranger, it they could change your life as much as you could impact theirs.

No comments: