9.17.2008

Race matters... still

Okay, I was going to post a different note this evening, one dealing with change. But something caught my attention, and therefore I'd just bring it to the light. I'd prefer this one to be posted when I had my site built, but oh well, maybe I will reintroduce the topic.

As I'm sitting here watching the rivalry game between the Cowboys and Eagles. As interesting of game as it is I can't help but to drift away. The motivation for this reflection derived from my attempt to converse with a fellow friend (ex) of mine. Asking about how her first day of employment was working with the children, and the general response received, as anticipated, brought up a point that I didn't care to discuss with her, i'd rather write on it. She mentioned how it was her first encounter with working with white children, innocent enough. The response I would have taken from a white woman saying it was her first time with black children would have probably been just as casual. Maybe, my eyebrow may have raised a bit. But nonetheless, RAcE MatTeRs! yes race matters. 

Although I've been isolated in the "Great White North" it is not an understatement for the area I've been living in. Generally everyone has been exceptionally receptive, and unnoticeably comfortable for an out-of-town black male inhabiting in this small town. Obviously I'm not from around here, but I seldom felt the center of attention nor the topic of discussion.

So, race, yeah. You think we've gotten past it. No we haven't, but will we ever? I think hell no, why would we have the audacity to overlook race at any point. Even if its not an issue it will still be talked about. As innocent of a comment as "you're the coolest white girl I know" or "he's this black guy." That means it matters, even if it is not an offensive discussion. 

I'm reading this book, which I've recommended to several people, (doubt they've considered it past our conversation). But, this character brings up race everyone once and a while, and his friend always asks, why do you always bring up race? Why can't you get past race? In a sense he states that race has not passed him, and as long as it remains evident that his race matters then he won't stop talking about it. I'm not saying that is right, but that seems to be the case and this book was published over half a century ago. 

It's unfortunate that the differences in pigmentation can retain judgement about one's personality and affiliation. But it happens, and it will still happen, shit even in peaceful old Canada I have met prejudice Canadian's some sporting Confederate flags (Some I believe had no clue what it truly represented) but I know one guy knew what his nazi flag represented. As I see them I don't shun or refute; I still open up, and try to embrace, because it's the anger and violence that a symbol can bring out that perpetuates its use.

So, where is this going,...It can't be far because these are thoughts not actions. Race matters, and now that I've grown older and lived on my own (really on my own) I have been able to see clearly what is embedded in us as humans, and even within our own races prejudice and hate exists. 


For the most part, our generation and future ones are more acceptable to differences... And I don't hold race as a key element in my days. Just able to see how it will not subside for a while, especially as long as there is still first Black this and that...

No comments: