9.26.2008

Laundromat Prattle

"Hey!! Maryland, how ya doing?!"

Words from a man I first encountered in the beginning of summer. We crossed paths at the laundromat, this being our second time, so we spent our time catching up. I figured I could always write later, why not devote time to an individual who presents me with such a warm spirit. After we loaded our clothes in our respective washing machines he offered to treat me to a slice of pizza and soda. Although, I just devoured a giant plate of spaghetti, I couldn't see a problem in enjoying MORE FOOD, yes I suffer from a glutinous condition.

We talked a bit, small talk really; eventually I discussed the matters of "Unclassifiable" and he was thrilled to hear the positive news. He continued to praise me on the racing mechanics, traveling and now writing. I graciously thanked him and addressed interest in his life. Omitting most details I will mention the key "show stopper" that generated a deep conversation. I asked if his wife would enjoy poetry and he clarified that his wife eluded him without warning.

No need to reiterate the entire conversation, but this guy was a decent fellow. Hard working, saved money, and he and his wife shared a daughter. One day he woke up...and she was gone. He filed a missing persons report, and the police notified him that she was unreachable, but okay. Eventually he discovered she flew across the country and did not communicate to him for two entire years. Until she came back looking for the money. Now, he wasn't desiring pity, but he lost his job two weeks before his ten year mark, and then his wife splits. Now he pays for his daughter to goto a university, works two jobs, and I believe he is remarkable human being. A decent man. I signed a book "To an amazing father, enjoy the book and hope to see you in the future."

I didn't feel bad for him because he was a man who was capable of handling his situations. Yet, I couldn't help but to think how tragic it must feel to wake up to someone you said, "I love you" to yesterday, and they are gone. Vanished. removed, not by death. He suggested for me, "get a pre-nup." He said that he never in a million years would have thought that THAT could happen to him. You never know...and who knows he could be a drunk, abusive or addicted to gambling, but I doubt he possessed those negative traits. Maybe he was Good Guy, and well we know where they finish.

No comments: